Preschool Insider's Story

Hi! I am Ms. Veronn, an early childhood educator who is passionate about young children and their lives. Read my blog and you will be in awe. I'll update you with the current trend in Singapore preschool that every parent and teacher is dying to know! You will love me.

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Parents, Are You Well Liked By Your Child's Teachers?

Why would I write about this topic as my first post? Am I not afraid that parents may get offended? Well, it's fine with me if you are... but if you want your child to have a great headstart in his/her preschool as much as I do, don't miss reading this!

Yes, I could hear what you are saying in your heart: "I've paid so much for the childcare service! Why should I bother whether my child's class teacher likes me or not?!"

Up till now, I have been working full pledged in early childhood industry for about 9 years. 3 years as a field practicum student and 6 years as a class teacher. Whether it is at void deck childcare setting, which charges like peanuts or premium preschool, where fees can be used to pay for a degree course, getting your child's teacher to like you is crucial.

Let me tell you why...

Not that she will abuse your child while you are at work, but it will definitely be awesome to build a positive relationship. The child is a reflection of the parent (which is YOU). If you are nice towards the class teacher, it is easier for her to bond with your child. There are certain types of parents that teachers want to avoid and hide...(no matter how friendly she seems in front of you when you talk... in fact she wishes that you'll hurry up and finish speaking)... BECAUSE TEACHERS ARE HUMANS TOO!

So what kind of parents that every preschool teacher wish to work with?

Friendly parents
Do you smile when you send your child to school? Maybe you just had your Botox and you forgot your whitening mask the night before, but showing a 'black face' (especially if it is done consistently) will dampen anyone's mood. Your child's teacher as well. Well, well, well, we know that without your money, the school can't pay our salary. But c'mon, frankly speaking, we don't owe you a single cent. If this school doesn't pay us what we deserved, we can work for another one down the street.

Smile. You will light up the classroom. Apply some PR skills, not just at your workplace, but in your child's school as well.


Pengene (Qi Han's mummy) - She has great smiles on her face everyday!

Constructive Parents
Once, there was a dad who complained about his child being hungry all the time, especially when he returns home. The dad came to school and shouted all sorts of vulgarities at the poor teacher in front of the juniors and other parents. (In case if you are wondering, it's NOT ME. THANKFULLY.)

Shouting at your child's teacher is the WORST THING and you must AVOID at all cost. There's a saying that goes, "When the teacher is happy, the children will be happy". It's true. The upbeat energy transfers from the teacher to the children. How happy will the teacher be if you scream at her in the early morning? If you need to complain, do it constructively. State your case in a civilized manner and we do listen to your constructive feedback. NOTE: CONSTRUCTIVE, not DESTRUCTIVE filled with #$%!#!@$%^.


Eunice and Vincent (Xavier's parents) - They provide constructive feedback which benefit the school and class management!

Good-Natured Parents
Good natured parents quickly gain lots of popularity among teachers. Words get around like the speed of lightning, especially in a female working environment. We know who are the 'nice' parents and who are the 'fussy' ones. When I was a newbie, I paused in my cutting to pick up a child who had a nightmare. I put the pair of scissors in my pocket with the blade poking out unknowingly. The child brushed her leg against it and had a very light but long superficial graze. Honestly, I was pretty scared when I realized it. I spoke to my supervisor and her first response is, "Call the mum... she's OK (the mum)." True enough, the mum said, "It's OK... don't worry. I understand. Just be more careful the next time." *Phew. Thank God that she didn't sue me. Today, the entire family has moved to the States, but Michelle (the mum) and I are still in contact via Facebook! At the same time, I know of parents who will not spare the teachers just because of one mosquito bite.


Yan Hui (Cindy's mum) - Very kind and cooperative with teachers.

Appreciative Parents
My ex-colleague, Aisha received a Kate Spade wallet from one of the parents. We were like WOW! KATE SPADE! Don't get me wrong. It is not about the price tags that accompany the gifts we received, but the thoughts behind it. We can sense if the present is a sincere one, or some post Christmas gifts that you didn't want and reuse it. Once, I received a baby cutlery as Teachers Day present. Why on earth would I need it? Am I still a baby? But yeah, it's still in my kitchen drawer somewhere...


Chwee Lay (Markko's mum) is one of the most appreciate parents I have ever met.

Besides presents, what are some other ways to convey your appreciation to the teacher? A sincere eye to eye contact and warm "thank you". Write a compliment letter to the school management to praise your child's teacher. Jess Lair once said, "Praise is like sunlight to the human spirit: we cannot flower and grow without it." We teachers, need your support and love too.

Take my advice. Be the ideal parent that all teachers wish for.

9 comments:

Mummy Kless said...

Cool! Great tips! And the first time I hear from a pre-school teacher first-hand.. now i know how my girl's teachers think... Haha!

Miss Veronn said...

Thanks Kless! Stay tune for tips and stuff! Which preschool is your girl attending?

grace.tan said...

Interesting blog! All parents should read ya blog :)

Miss Veronn said...

Hey, thanks Grace! Do recommend mummies in your office to read my blog. I hope that all these years of my experience in early childhood will benefit them.

Mummy Kless said...

My girl's in YMCA Metropolitan.. :)

Miss Veronn said...

I taught there for 2 years when I first started out!! Which branch is that?

Mummy Kless said...

Oh is that so??? She's at the Stevens Road branch. :D

Sheryl02 said...

Veron,
Great Sharing!!! I will try to be the "ideal" parents when my girl starts preschool!

Miss Veronn said...

Thanks Sheryl... I'm sure you will be! =) Do update Keeve and I about Jaelyn as she starts school ok? We look forward to hear her wonderful school stories.. Don't forget that we are going to play taboo too!