Preschool Insider's Story

Hi! I am Ms. Veronn, an early childhood educator who is passionate about young children and their lives. Read my blog and you will be in awe. I'll update you with the current trend in Singapore preschool that every parent and teacher is dying to know! You will love me.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Mama, I Don't Want To Go To School!


It's gonna be a brand new year, 2010! Guess it is also the time parents are anxious about sending their precious darling to preschool, especially those who are first timers. As a class teacher, I often hear parents saying, "My child always cry whenever we mention the word 'school'. What can we do to ease the tension?"

First of all, congratulation in finding a great school. It must have been a lot of hard work on your part looking for one that suits your child and your needs. Before sending your child to school, here are some extra tips that you can rely on to ensure smooth transition.

1. Request for an orientation with the class teacher. 
Arrange to meet the class teacher for about 15 minutes a few days before your little one starts school. During this short period of time, get familiarized with her (remember my 4 Golden Rules of being the ideal parent. Read my previous post if you have not done so.) Check out the daily routine, menu and bring along your child so that he can have a general feel of the class atmosphere. Highlight some of the issues that your child might face such as hating greens, toilet-training or any peculiar habits. 

2. Be firm emotionally. 

Yes, this is the MOST difficult part, especially for mothers. I used to babysit a pair of twins  in the past. I felt SO GUILTY when I saw tears welling in their eyes as I left them in Sunday school. But being in educational line myself, I know that I can trust them in the hands of the teachers. Indeed, at the end of the day, the boys had so much fun that they did not want to leave! 



My lovely pair of twins - KKDD




They are big boys now... This year, KKDD are officially in P1!

Many mums often make the request to stay in class for the first few days so that they can  accompany the child in routine care (showering, meal time or even nap). Honestly, this is not advisable because your child will 'stick' to you and EXPECT YOU to be around in the classroom. This will cause greater anxiety in him/her when eventually, you have to leave to go work.


My advise? Send your child to school, say 'bye' (don't hide and run away because you will cause greater insecurity in her) and GO (stop saying endless goodbyes). Pick her earlier from school during the first week so that she will be able to adapt to the new environment gradually. Most importantly, GO TO SCHOOL EVERYDAY so that he can make friends and learn interesting concepts. 


3. Ask for regular updates. 
Class newsletters are common in preschool nowadays... unless the childcare is super outdated in their curriculum. Through newsletters, you will usually read about learning activities, announcement and events. In my case, my class parents receive daily updates  through reading my tweets. You can also check out the most convenient time that you can ring the teacher if you need to ask any questions (avoid long phone calls during her lunch hour to score points in being the ideal parent). Alternatively, write notes in the communication book to state any concerns you have. Allow 1-2 days for reply. 


Finally, how much time should you give for your child to settle in the new school? Anytime between 1 to 3 weeks. Some children might take even a month, if they are very young (18 months to 24 months).


Be calm and steady... Good luck to you and I believe that your child will shine


*All photos of children are posted with permission. 

1 comment:

Sheryl02 said...

Veron,

thanks for your very informative sharing! It is definitely helpful & useful!